The North Carolina Democratic Party (NCDP, The Party) is a fast-paced office with a strong, hardworking, team-oriented environment that provides interns with a full democratic experience of party and campaign operations. The Party currently has openings for full-time internships.
NCDP INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Interns will work in an energetic atmosphere. They will be exposed to a dynamic political environment and will gain valuable on-the-job experience to supplement their academic background. The internship coordinator will work closely with interns and sponsoring schools to ensure that all academic goals, including the fulfillment of academic credit are achieved. The current election cycle will prove to be an exciting time as the Party prepares to elect a Democratic Governor, a Democratic United States Senator, Democratic Congressmen, strong Democratic candidates to our state house and state senate, and work to strengthen our Party in communities throughout North Carolina. This is an excellent opportunity to obtain practical campaign experience and network with candidates and elected officials.
- To provide interns with a positive and dynamic working atmosphere in which they can cultivate their written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Establish a broad base of knowledge in political campaigns, grassroots politics, and state and county party organization.
- Prepare the intern with on-the-job experiences that will foster the practical development of their political skills and prepare them for careers in politics and public service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Managing and organizing fieldwork-related documentation
- Administrative work including: answering telephones and greeting visitors, collecting constituent information, researching legislation and policy issues
- Researching and writing memos, constituent correspondence, assisting legislative staff in committee hearings, and fielding constituent phone calls
- Communicating with project manager regularly regarding assignments
- Enrolled at least part-time in an undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking program with concentration in the political and/or social sciences, public policy, law, or relevant fields
- Possess problem solving skills, professionalism, attention to detail
- Punctual, teachable, and ability to follow through on tasks and have the ability to manage multiple tasks under a deadline
- Demonstrated ability and desire to develop and maintain expertise in qualitative fieldwork
- Ability to travel anywhere in North Carolina (travel expenses will be reimbursed)
- Have a willingness to develop, must be highly motivated, self-starter, detail oriented, and posses excellent organizational and both oral and written communication skills
- Applicants must have a basic understanding of the American political system
- Applicants will need a strong work ethic and positive attitude
First priorities will be given to applicants who can commit to work 10 hours each week for the duration of the internship. There is some flexibility with scheduling, but applicants should have availability during business hours at least two days during the workweek.
NCDP welcomes working with universities to provide internship credit for students.
An intern accepted into the program is welcomed to refer his or her friends. Students referred to The NCDP INTERNSHIP Program will have first preference in the interview process.
Attach resume in an email addressed to BKennedy@ncdp.org containing “Internship” as the subject line. All inquiries about the position may be directed to Brad Kennedy.